Construction Contract Workshops
Are you a construction specialist who wants to understand how to get the best from your existing contracts, processes or strategies? Or do you want to write simpler contracts and avoid the speed bumps caused by long tedious negotiations?
If your staff need to understand and use construction contracts, our one-day Contract Awareness Course provides a great starting point. It covers:
- can you make a contract by email?
- what does a contract really need (legally and practically)
- what terms should you negotiate and which walk away from
- the obligations and powers of parties to your most commonly used contract
- how your staff should manage changes to scope, time and quality (using real-life case studies)
- what you can do when projects go wrong, and
- how you can avoid disputes.
Do you want a course that covers your projects, your contracts, your needs and your values? You got it! based on the experience of that course, you can determine whether your staff would benefit from further bespoke in-house training covering contracts or topics in depth such as:
- Operating standards forms from JCT, NEC, MF/1, IChemE or ICC
- Using other contracts like guarantees, on-demand and conditional bonds, collateral warranties and third party rights notices
- Excluding and limiting your liability, without being one-sided
- Tactics when negotiating specific contracts
- 10 clauses you can kick out of your letter of intent
- Pricing works under NEC (including for rail and highways projects)
- Commercial awareness issues (including final accounting, programmes, valuing variations)
Whether you are lawyers, engineers or construction professionals, whether you want workshops from 90 minutes to 2 days, and whether you want legal or competency-based topics, we have the workshop for you. And if we don’t have the expertise, we can find someone who does. Our associates include Sarah Schutte of Schutte Consulting and John Littler of Q-Consult.
Effective Writing Workshops
Are you a technical specialist or lawyer who wants to adopt simpler language to ensure your clients, colleagues and contacts can read your documents first time, every time? Our two-day Effective Technical Writing for Consultants and one-day Effective Writing for Lawyers courses create tools as simple as our WRITE process and the ABC of simple writing. The course covers:
- introducing the ABC of effective writing
- how you choose the right style, tone, structure and format for documents
- how/why you should plan your writing
- the joy of text – why you should write in flow
- why SPAG is not all the editing you need, and
- how you can edit to create your ABC.
Sarah Fox, our director, was a solicitor with Eversheds for 15 years and has 10 years’ experience as a CIPD-qualified trainer. Between 2011-2014, she was an Associate Lecturer for Salford University, most recently re-developing and delivering the Construction Law and Dispute Resolution module for surveyors, project managers and final year construction undergraduates. Salford University’s 2014 graduates provided anonymous feedback including “Sarah is excellent at keeping the room engaged in what she is talking about & keeping the information clear and structured, even when covering complicated issues. This potentially dull and difficult subject has been a joy to study, thanks to an enthusiastic manner of lecturing.”